Offices were running smoothly in a traditional manner until the wave of coronavirus came in. The concept of a hybrid work office started from here only.
So, in March 2020 the world witnessed a different disease. A disease that isolated us from our loved ones, a disease that made the families leave a sick person alone just to safeguards everyone else. Some of us have seen the ugliest face of coronavirus disease and its extent of ruthlessness through personal experiences or word of mouth.
Anyways, even after some many negativities, life must go on and so should work. Stopping work means stopping the source of income. Income, without which there is no livelihood. So, companies switched to the virtual form of working from home only.
The work from home journey initially started with a limited number of days but has been stretched ever since. The disease keeps on showing us its new sides because of which we cannot go back to normal. Work from home was quite difficult at the start because of a lot of issues like:
- The unstable network connections and problems in attending and listening to the meetings or being able to contact.
- The presence of so many people around hindered the focus on work, thus increasing stress.
- The long hours of the office and no restricted office timings.
- The pressure of household activities along with the office work
- The pay cut due to less business during the pandemic
But as the days passed by, the comfort level started increasing.
- The comfort of home and homemade food which many were missing because of out of station jobs.
- The advantage of sleeping more and getting up just 15 mins before the meeting starts.
- The benefit of being able to look beyond work and try new activities or explore hobbies
- The lesser number of leaves resulted in a non-deducted salary
- The freedom to be able to do something on their own. Be it a venture or a trading or handicrafts business
But now, since the vaccine drives are going in full swing all across the globe the possibility of switching back to normal is increasing. Well, not normal but the ‘new normal’. And now the problem that the companies are facing is how to bring the employees back to work.
DWELLING INTO HYBRID WORK ENVIRONMENT
Most employees are willing to switch to a hybrid work office that will allow them to work from the office as well as home. Nowadays, people are also talking about hybrid remote work opportunities where some employees are allowed to work remotely because they are either living in a different geographical location or choose to do so.
But, hybrid remote work can negatively impact the other employees who are working in-house because they might want to work from home as well. So, the post-Covid world is going to face a lot of trouble, especially regarding the workforce.
See, whatever we say or do, we have to understand that work areas and fun areas are separate things and they must be kept and maintained separately with few exceptions here and there. We can have fun in the work area also, but the mood of the place will automatically make people work. The same with the fun area, we can work there but the fun things happening around demotivates us to work and eventually, we do stop working.
Okay, so have you ever worked while staying the night with your friends?
Do you allow yourself to speak on the phone for long hours in the office, gossiping about a web series?
No right! Because of the different moods of the place. So, now companies want to bring back their employees so here are some tips to make hybrid working space effective and attractive to make the workforce come to the office.
TIPS TO MAKE YOUR HYBRID ENVIRONMENT EFFECTIVE
- Create a healthy environment. The most important aspect to working effectively is by creating a good, positive environment into which the employees would wish to come in and be a part of it. The employers can no longer trouble the employees with bad maintenance or less stationary or limited pantry stock.
- The most common thing, give some raises to the employees. But it does not have to be in monetary form. For example – make a policy stating that those employees who would follow the hybrid work office model effectively will be taught to invest and earn profits. Well, we know most people now know about stocks but not everyone invests. Here, the company is backing up the employees to invest and earn. So, the company has to be thorough in proving good shares and the employees would start trusting the company more. And this way, they get a raise and learn a new skill as well. This was just an example, think of other such interesting examples to attract the employees.
- Restrict the hours. Employers know the capability of the workers and should hand in only that much work that can be completed during the stipulated hours. The employees must not be ex[ected to work for long hours during in-office work as they have a work from home option the very next day. This is somewhere down the line cheating and must be avoided.
- Make sure to design the hybrid work schedule in such a way that the office friends are not separated. This may sound childish and similar to what we expected our teachers to do back in school while shuffling all of us. But this is an important factor. If friends are put in the same schedule then the work area can become easy to deal with for the employees and the excitement to meet friends will eventually bring them to the office.
- Be understanding. The employers have shown to be very understanding since the pandemic and must continue to do so. Good mental health will increase the productivity of the employees so remember to be understanding and benevolent. But yes, not that the employees start taking advantage. So it should be a balance of effectively tightening and loosening the leash.
So, these were some of the tips that might help employers in attracting employees out of their comfort zone. To be honest, in-office working has perks of its own which work from home cannot replace. So, try to make the employees aware of it and motivate them high enough to make them step out.
A hybrid work office is a great place to start the process where both the employer’s and the employees’ needs are somehow catered to. Now it is the added responsibility of the employers as to how effectively they make the employees stay!